Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Red, Black, and White Smackdown

I saw this post on the Army of Four's blog. It made me think of an "incident" that happened with Ulee on Monday night. We had all been outside doing some last minute bathroom business before bed. (Everyone except Wilbur, of course!) Ulee and I were getting along fine outside. Then Dad let us in the house and had Ulee on her leash and was leading her to her crate for bed and I was waiting on a treat from Mom. Well, I don't know what got into me, but I saw Ulee walking with Dad and I just snapped and lunged for her. Dad still had Ulee's leash, so he was trying to pull Ulee away from me, but then her collar came off, so he had to go for my leash. When he got us apart, Ulee immediately went in her kennel, but she was crying and not putting weight on her front leg. Mom was worried that I had bit Ulee and broken her leg. Then Mom looked at me. I was dripping blood all over the bedroom floor. At this point, Mom went to call Ulee's foster coordinator to see if it was okay to take Ulee to the ER vet. So I followed Mom into the other room, dripping blood everywhere I went. Dad checked Ulee over and couldn't find any blood on her, but she was still crying. Then Dad came out to check me over. He wiped all the blood off my face and I didn't keep bleeding, so he decided I was okay. By the time Mom got off the phone, Ulee was walking on her leg again, but Dad did find a small cut on her elbow, so he thought that's why she was holding her paw up and that she was crying because she was scared. So we didn't go to the ER vet.

Mom and Dad keep telling me that I have to be nice to Ulee. It's just so hard though. She's invaded MY house, she tries to sit on MY dad's lap, and she sometimes rests her head on MY mom's knee. Ulee is also afraid of me, so she tries to walk far away from me and when she has to walk past me, she walks really low to the ground. So I can just see that she's scared and I sometimes can't control my urge to attack her.

Steve says Ulee's not that bad and when I fight with her, Steve just stands back watching with a look on his face that says, "Girls are stupid."

By the way, yesterday, Mom looked at my face to see about my injury and she couldn't even see where the cut was. Apparently, I magically heal. Anyway, I hope all of my blogging friends will still like me now that you all know that I am a secret meanie-head (as Steve says). Mom says that if I don't start behaving, she's going to have a breakdown. I think she's kidding. I hope.

Kat

9 comments:

The Brat Pack said...

Oh, Kat. It's hard, I know. The thing is, Ulee isn't as lucky as you and even though it's so tempting to attack maybe you shouldn't. I'm beating Bear up a lot too but I guess I should stop.

The other thing, you don't want to freak the humans out too much and then not get to foster again. Who knows, the next foster could be somedog you really dig and want to play with all the time.

Hang in there, k?

Tucker-Doodle

Mike and Mati said...

Oh my Gosh Kat. Mati here - It was touch and go for a while with Rocky and I, but we worked thru it. Not as bad as your situation I'm sure, but we have our paws crossed for you! It's so very nice to hear that your people are so considerate, patient and so caring. With a little help from your people and little from everyone else, I'm sure it will all be good. We will keep you guys in our canine thoughts and prayers.

Smile, because some bipeds and quadrupeds love you!

Mati

H.A. Turbofire, Sibertarian said...

I'm actually mean like you, so I don't have any advice.

PS, tell Steve my poops are better!

Khady Lynn said...

It is very hard Kat. When I came into my new home Abby and I didn't get along. Abby was the alpha female before me, so she didn't understand that now I wanted to be alpha. We tangled more than once, but she eventually figured out I was in charge. Mom and dad still keep a close eye on me if I start to get to cranky with her. It just takes time.

Holly

Amici said...

Hopefully with time things will iron out a bit. We agree with everyone's comments. Just keep trying and maybe you two will hit it off eventually or at least tolerate each other nicely.

We think it is cool that you have a foster dog in your home. You and your family are special for doing that.

The Army of Four said...

Hi Kat:
I don't like other dogs coming into MY house, either - unless they do everything I tell them to do. I wasn't thrilled at all when Dave got here -- then he went from a "foster" to a "furever" brother. No one asked ME! And I would have objected! He never does what I tell him to do! But then .... he's so nice. I don't know.... I can't explain it. We just reached an agreement. And I let Mom and Dad THINK they're in charge.
Good luck with Ulee!!!
Tail wags,
Storm

Anonymous said...

Oh Kat... You have to be a bit easier on Ulee. However, if mom brought another dog in my house that took attention away from me... I may wear my hiney on my shoulders too!
Hugs,
Sitka

Deanna said...

Maybe you need a boy foster brother. I was the same way with a boxer foster. That was a no-go. But I am nice to Magoo. Maybe you would like Magoo!

The Beasts- Royal, Brock & Alki said...

Its alright, I know how it is, other dogs trying to take all the good stuff that so obviously belongs to you. Im the same way. And so are Brother & Sister. Actually mom says Brother is the worst of all of us, he over-reacts a lot.. I think thats why I love him so much. Hes my idol. Anyhoo, dont be too hard on yourself Kat, youre just a normal dog. Oh and my mom says if your humans are interested, theres a couple cool books she recommends, one called "Feeling Outnumbered?" by Patricia McConnell (http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB722), and the other called "Mine!" by Jean Donaldson (http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB740). They give the humans some good insight into how we doggies think. (And they are really short books, quick, but good, reads)

*Royal*